Position Available: Director of Investments
Title: Director of Investments (pdf)
Reports to: Executive Director
The Climate Trust, a rapidly growing non-profit based in Portland, Oregon, is a national leader in the development and promotion of high-quality greenhouse gas offset projects. We work on innovative climate change solutions in a highly collaborative, entrepreneurial, results oriented, and positive atmosphere.
In 1997, The Climate Trust (The Trust) was founded as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization to assist new fossil-fueled power plants in complying with the Oregon Carbon Dioxide Standard—the nation’s first legislation to curb emissions of carbon dioxide. The Trust is responsible for acquiring carbon offsets, and selecting and managing pollution reduction projects on behalf of these utilities.
Since its inception, The Climate Trust has evolved into a nationally recognized innovator and quality leader in the carbon market, committing over $33.2 million in carbon ﬁnancing for greenhouse gas emission reduction projects. Our key accomplishments include writing the first standard for a US offset project in 2001, founding the Offset Quality Initiative in 2007, and receiving the American Carbon Registry’s Commitment to Quality Award in 2014, while transacting the first ever grassland conservation and nutrient management agricultural credits.
Building on The Trust’s experience as a leading purchaser of offsets from innovative carbon projects, we have now launched our carbon investment fund to provide early stage impact capital to offset projects. Not only do we believe that access to this type of capital will accelerate individual projects, but it will also play an increasingly important role alongside donor capital in the future of conservation finance.
The Director of Investments is a key hire for The Trust, and central to creating a new conservation finance enterprise that leverages our existing programs and experience. We’re looking for someone to feed off the organization’s start-up-like energy, knowledge and networks, while using their own expertise to build a carbon investment fund that advances our mission. Key experience we require centers on the deployment of early stage project finance, fund management and reporting, fund raising, and a robust network of stateside impact investors and institutions.
Lead the development of The Trust’s pilot investment fund, which will provide early stage investment to high-quality carbon projects in the forestry, grassland conservation, and livestock digester sectors.
- Execute 8 to 12 direct investments as part of The Trust’s pilot fund over 2016 and 2017
- Identify appropriate structures, both for the fund itself and individual investments with a careful eye towards scaling
- Build systems and processes at The Trust to manage these investments to credit generation
- Work with The Trust’s origination, technical, and risk mitigation staff to advance a robust pipeline of high-quality investment opportunities
- Manage relationships and reporting with investors in the fund
- Lead the development and fundraising for a larger vehicle based on the pilot fund
- Report on performance of pilot investments and how that performance relates to potential of future investments. Includes significant financial modeling
- Build systems and processes necessary to support future investment projects/funds at scale
- Identify and communicate with potential investors, including NGOs, financial institutions, government agencies, institutional investors, and the impact investor community
- Manage the investment of The Trust’s existing portfolio of funds under management
- Manage key relationships and financial partners
- 10+ years of experience in finance, with a strong emphasis in private equity fund management focused on providing project finance to early-stage projects
- Hands on principle project investing experience complete with due diligence, structuring, and implementation expertise
- Fund financial modeling, cash flow, and risk analysis experience
- Experience raising capital from impact investors, family offices and/or institutional investors
- Excellent management, communication, and analytical skills, and ability to work independently
- Detail oriented, and ability to organize and prioritize multiple projects on an on-going basis
- Direct experience structuring debt and equity investments into projects
- MBA or advanced degree in finance-related field preferred
Articulate, confident, ambitious, inquisitive, and entrepreneurial
This position is based in Portland, Oregon with business travel
Salary is commensurate with experience. The Climate Trust offers a very strong benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance; five weeks paid time off in the first year; flexible work hours; a 401(k) match; wealth plan; and a bus/bike commute incentive program.
HOW TO APPLY
Please email both a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please include the position title in the subject line. Please include salary requirements in your cover letter. Applications without cover letters and salary requirements will not be considered.
No phone calls please.
The Climate Trust is an equal opportunity employer.